Dingos Overrun Guelph in Season Opener

The Dingos’ began their 2013 season by heading west on the 401 to take on the Guelph Gargoyles, the team that ended the Dingos’ 2012 campaign. In what is always a tough trip, the Dingos knew that starting the match strongly and maintaining pressure and intensity for four quarters would be essential if a win were to be secured.

From the first bounce, the small field and wind ensured that the game would be tightly contested with neither team able to find a great deal of space. The Dingos’ midfield, led by Shaun McKay, managed to get on top in the clearances, giving the forward line plenty of opportunities. The first goal of the match came off the boot of Latino sensation C. Serpa, after he gathered the ball in congestion and slotted it through under pressure. The Dingos’ forward pressure was relentless, and 2012 rookie of the year winner Denis Cormier was able to capitalize and kick his first goal in the red and black. Despite the liveliness of the Dingos’ small forwards, the wind impacted the scoreboard and resulted in only two goals being kicked in the opening quarter.

The second quarter was much the same as the first with the wind and congested play making goals hard to come by. The Gargoyles were able to open the game up a bit through the midfield, but the Dingos backline continually read the play best and rebounded the football. New recruit D’arcy Hill was strong in the ruck and around the ground all day long, while fellow first gamer Max Parish was rewarded for his strong work in the midfield by kicking a fantastic goal from just outside the fifty-meter arc. The margin at halftime saw the Dingos hold a narrow 10 point lead, and the team was aware that a strong second half was required if they were to come out on top.

Guelph came out hard in the third quarter by kicking the first goal and winning several clearances in a row, however the red and black managed to steady the ship by becoming more accountable in the midfield and communicating well in the backline. Pat Bossey was fantastic at centre halfback, and a desperate chase and tackle by him on the last line of defense prevented what looked like a certain Gargoyles’ goal. Kyle Morrison kicked a great goal on the run from a tight angle, which ensured that the Dingos were able to maintain a narrow lead at the end of the third quarter.

Coach Justin Robertson juggled the lineup a bit to begin the final quarter, with new Aussie recruit Wade Edwards beginning the final term in the middle before drifting forward. The red and black started the quarter with a point to prove, and Wade managed to kick a belter from fifty to extend the lead. The ball remained in the Dingos’ forward half for much of the quarter, however goals remained hard to come by. Wade finished the game by kicking two more final quarter goals to finish the day with a hat trick. In the end, the margin saw the red and black come out on top by five goals, in what was truly a great team effort.

Congratulations to Dingos’ first gamers Wade, Max, D’arcy, Alvin, Pat, Roman and Kristian. Best on ground went to Shaun McKay, spurred on by the surprise appearance of his brother Tim, who had flown in from Perth the night before.


Final Score: Toronto Dingos7.13.55 def. Guelph Gargoyles 4.2.26

Goals: W. Edwards (3), M. Parish, K. Morrison, D. Cormier, C. Serpa.


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.


Major Sponsors

AFLO Standings

2018 Division 1