Update from the Dodgers - coronavirus situation
Hello to all Dodgers players and families
We would like to provide you with an update on the rolling situation regarding coronavirus, and its impact on basketball in the ACT.
Basketball ACT has advised today (see below) that it will cancel all remaining games for the Summer season of basketball, in addition to its High Performance programs and other programs / events.
The Premier League for senior players has also been cancelled for the foreseeable future - with further advice to be provided in the next few days.
We thank Basketball ACT for providing this definitive advice, and appreciate the difficult decision that it has had to make within a short space of time.
In line with cancellation of the Summer season, the Dodgers will also be cancelling all further training sessions (both junior and senior) for the Summer season.
We have made this incredibly difficult decision with the health and wellbeing of players and their families first and foremost in our mind.
We will continue to liaise with Basketball ACT on how the forthcoming Winter season might play out...and we will provide definitive updates on registrations for the Winter season as the situation becomes clearer.
We remain mindful that many families are anxious to know whether they should go ahead and register for the Winter season, or hold off.
Please be reassured that we will provide sufficient notice for you to register for the Winter season, once a decision is made by Basketball ACT on how the Winter season will play out.
Also, some may have already registered and paid for the planned full length season.
As a Committee, we will aim to work through issues and make adjustments as things develop.
We will aim to keep you informed of all developments as they emerge.
We thank you for your patience and understanding - particularly given this is a rapidly changing situation that is impacting on many sports across Australia...and indeed the world.
Best wishes from your Dodgers Committee
(Basketball ACT update follows)
Basketball ACT - Health Update - 16 March 2020
16 March 2020
In light of recent events and the emergence of additional information and guidance into the management and risk mitigation related to the spread of the COVID-19 virus, Basketball ACT (BACT) held an urgent out of session meeting of the Finance, Audit and Risk Management (FARM) Committee on Sunday 15 March 2020.
The FARM Committee considered advice from health authorities, the Australian and ACT Government's approach to limiting exposure, Basketball Australia's advice, and feedback from member clubs, and as BACT has a duty of care to ensure the health and well-being of all our members and facility users, the decision has been made to cancel ALL remaining games for the 2019-2020 Summer Competitions, and to suspend all other programs until further notice. This will include all senior and junior competitions, high performance programs, Waratah League, school and development programs as well as ancillary events including casual shoot-around. BACT notes this includes the postponement of the start of the Premier Competitions until potentially after 30 April 2020, however a decision on a proposed start date will be made in the coming days.
BACT will continue to review and monitor advice from health authorities and review the currency of our approach in the lead up to the proposed start of the Premier and Winter competitions, and keep you informed through our various communications mediums.
As this is a rapidly evolving situation, BACT would like to thank everyone for their understanding and patience as we work through this difficult period. This is not a decision that has been taken lightly and we want to reassure the basketball community that we will continue to follow the advice of authorities and health professionals to ensure the health and wellbeing of the entire BACT family.
Chief Executive Officer