THE WINTER COMP IS BACK!
THE 2020 WINTER COMP IS BACK! Please make sure that you read this entire email and the 5 main points that need to be shared with all of your teams and families. Thank you all so much for your patience and well done to those of you who have remained in contact with your teams and started training outdoors again....the revised season begins next week. Please forward the below information to all of your team contacts as soon as possible.
1. REVISED WINTER COMP 2020:
The new season will now recommence with one grading round for the Wednesday night competition and two grading rounds for the Friday and Saturday competitions. Grading games start on Friday July 17 and Saturday July 18. The Wednesday night competitions (U17 Boys Div 1 and Open Girls) will re-commence their season with a final grading round on Wednesday July 22.
Here's how each competition will work:
- WEDNESDAY NIGHT COMPETITIONS (U17 BOYS DIV 1 & OPEN GIRLS) 13 ROUNDS AND THEN FINALS
- FRIDAY NIGHT COMPETITION 12 ROUNDS AND THEN FINALS (NOTE: ROUND 8 IS A SPLIT ROUND 9/10 AND 13/11 DUE TO COURT UNAVAILABILITY)
- SATURDAY MORNING COMPETITION 13 ROUNDS AND THEN FINALS
- FINALS WILL BE PLAYED SIMILAR TO THE SUMMER COMPETITION FORMAT - ALL TEAMS WILL PLAY (EXCEPT THE BOTTOM PLACED TEAM IN ANY COMPETITIONS WITH A BYE)
THERE WILL BE NO SUMMER COMPETITION IN 2020.
Please find attached the Revised Winter Season Calendar to be distributed amongst all the families on your teams.
2. COVID RESTRICTIONS & PROTOCOLS:
Return to play documents have now been developed and Gold Coast Basketball General Manager, Joel McIness will be sending out the 'COVID SAFE RETURN TO PLAY' document to all GCCRBA members by the end of the week. Please be sure to read this document in full to understand the requirements of returning to play prior to your arrival at games next week to help the return to play process go as smoothly as possible.
3. GAME TIMES & WEEKLY DRAW:
We have been advised by Gold Coast Basketball that due to the current restrictions, arrival & departure times and time allocated for games (60 mins to play and leave) that there will now be a 9:10pm time slot for some of the older age groups. This unfortunately cannot be helped with the current landscape and can hopefully be rectified once restrictions ease again. Once again all game times and draws will be posted on the Gold Coast Basketball website and draws will be posted from Monday.
4. CLUB TEAM TRAINING:
Since our home court is Varsity College, the indoor stadium still remains closed at this stage until we are given the go ahead. Please see the statement by Education Queensland "At this time, school facilities including school halls, gymnasiums and amenities remain closed for use or hire by third parties such as community organisations." Therefore, we will continue our current training times and schedule but we must only use outdoor courts until further notice. I am more than aware that this is less than ideal but hopefully it will only be for week 1 of training. I have been assured by the Gold Coast Basketball GM that the Varsity Vipers Basketball Club is covered for public liability when using an outdoor facility for any injury that may possibly occur. We are hoping to be back indoors as soon as we can, so stay tuned to emails and social media posts in the coming weeks. Please follow the Training Requirements below when delivering your outdoor sessions.
OUTDOOR TRAINING REQUIREMENTS:
- Please arrive 15 mins before your scheduled training time
- Please ask any members of the public to move
- Parents to stay outside the designated court / playing area
- ONLY Varsity Vipers Basketballs to be used for training (one or two per team) NO Basketballs to be brought to training by players. Outdoor basketballs to be supplied for your use
- Each player is to bring their own water bottle and towel
- Hand sanitizer to be provided before and after training. Please see me to collect hand sanitizer before training commences
- Please only allow members of your team (including one coach and one manager) on court
- On the completion of training please remove your team from the courts
5. SATURDAY SKILLS PROGRAM:
At this stage the Saturday Skills program remains suspended until further notice due to the restrictions around parents and spectators and the use of the Varsity College facility. Our skills program caters for children from ages 4 - 19 and with the current protocol of zero spectators, parents and caregivers are not allowed to enter the venues. This obviously creates an issue for our ViperBall program and therefore the Saturday Skills Sessions will remain suspended....but We Will Return....soon....i hope! (fingers crossed).
Last Modified on 10/07/2020 09:30