AFL Tasmania successfully conducted the fourth gala induction function of the Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame at Wrest Point Casino in Hobart on 4 July 2008. The highlight being the announcement of the seventh ‘Icon’ of Tasmanian football - Arthur Hodgson.
Arthur Hodgson was known throughout football in the late 1940s and 1950s as the ‘The Black Prince’. An elite level runner he carved out a highly successful playing and coaching career in Tasmania and Victoria. His exploits began on the West Coast of Tasmania at Queenstown and then rose to even greater heights at Carlton and Ulverstone in Tasmania.
Arthur Hodgson now joins Roy Cazaly who was elevated in 2007; Ian Stewart and Royce Hart who were elevated in 2006; and our inaugural ‘Icons’ Horrie Gorringe, Darrel Baldock and Peter Hudson in the Hall of Fame.
The Hall of Fame also announced the elevation of a further three ‘Legends’ who have made significant contributions to Tasmanian football at home and on the national scene, including:
- Players – Neil Conlan, Rex Garwood and Jim Ross.
The players join other Legends of Tasmanian Football:
- Players – Paul Williams, Paul Sproule, Brent Crosswell, Verdun Howell, Hec Smith, Laurie Nash, Alastair Lynch, Terry Cashion, John Leedham, Geoff Long and Rodney Eade and the 6 player ‘Icons’.
- Coaches – Bruce Carter, Roy Cazaly, Paddy Martin and Jack Rough.
- Umpire – Jack McMurray Junior.
- Administrator – Ian Drake.
- Media – Tim Lane.
The Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame has category inductions and in 2008 the following were recognised:
- The fourth Memorable Game – The infamous Devonport v Glenorchy Statewide League Grand Final of 1988.
- The fourth Legendary Team – Tasmania’ 1958 National Carnival team.
- The fourth Great Club – Launceston Football Club.
- Special Category Induction – The Best of Country Tasmanian senior football, including Longford 1957, New Norfolk 1968 and Smithton 1983.
Finally, a further 24 individuals were welcomed into the Hall of Fame as inductees.
Full details of the 2008 Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame inductions are attached.
Last Modified on 22/01/2009 22:49