History of the VFL 1877 - 2013


Victorian Football Association begins. Foundation Senior clubs are Albert Park, Carlton, East Melbourne, Essendon, Geelong, Hotham, Melbourne, St. Kilda and West Melbourne.


East Melbourne withdraws from the competition. Throughout this period apart from matches between the Senior VFA clubs, all Senior clubs (20 players a side) play numerous matches against minor and junior clubs (25 players a side).


South Melbourne is joins the VFA and East Melbourne re-enters the competition.


St. Kilda ceases to be a Senior club while Albert Park amalgamates with South Melbourne and plays under the name of South Melbourne.


West Melbourne disbands as a senior club but continues to compete in junior ranks.   St. Kilda returns to senior ranks.


Essendon move headquarters from Flemington Hill to the East Melbourne Cricket Ground.  As a consequence East Melbourne disbands.


St. Kilda once again withdraws as a senior club, reducing the VFA to 6 senior clubs.


Fitzroy and Williamstown join the VFA.


Richmond and University join the VFA bringing the total number of clubs in the competition to 10.


Footscray, Port Melbourne, Prahran, South Williamstown are admitted as St. Kilda rejoins the VFA.


Ballarat, Ballarat Imperial and South Ballarat clubs join the VFA. Although they compete in home and away matches they are not eligible for the Premiership.  Teams are required to play at least 18 senior matches to be eligible for the Premiership which is awarded to the side completing the season at the top of the Premiership table.


Hotham becomes known as North Melbourne.


Williamstown and South Williamstown combine and move from the Gardens Reserve to the Williamstown Cricket Ground (Point Gellibrand). The combined club is known as Williamstown.  University amalgamate with Melbourne and Prahran amalgamate with St. Kilda, becoming known as St. Kilda.


Collingwood join the VFA.


Ballarat Football Association forms and the three Ballarat clubs cease to play regular matches against VFA clubs.


Collingwood and South Melbourne both complete the season with 14 wins and the same tally of goals scored for and against, necessitating a play-off to decide the Premiership.  This becomes the first ever finals series.  At the end of the season Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Fitzroy, Geelong, Melbourne, South Melbourne and St. Kilda break away from the VFA to form the Victorian Football League.  Footscray, North Melbourne, Port Melbourne, Richmond and Williamstown remains.


Brunswick joins the competition. A new scoring system is introduced, whereby a goal counts for 6 points and a behind 1 point.  Previously, behinds had only been recorded but had not been included in a teams score to determine the result of a match.  There is still no finals play-off. Teams completing the season on top of the ladder continue to be awarded the Premiership.


The VFA reduces the number of players in a team from 20 to 18.


Prahran and West Melbourne rejoin the competition.


Essendon Town joins the VFA.


Preston is admitted to the VFA. The first season of the VFA final series is played, whereby the winners of the two semi-finals, first versus third and second versus fourth, meet to decide the Premiership. The team finishing at the top of the Premiership table at the completion of the home and away season is known as the minor premiers. The minor premiers have the right to challenge the winner of the final in which case the season could extend if required to a Grand or Challenge Final.


Essendon Town become known as Essendon Association or more commonly Essendon A.


The Association introduces numbering of players.


Richmond, Brighton and Northcote join the League and West Melbourne withdraws from the competition. The Association reduces the number of players per teams from 18 to 17. North Melbourne makes an unsuccessful attempt to join the VFL. Footscray wins the Premiership before a record crowd of 44,000 at the MCG. The final follows the first ANFC Carnival and coincides with the arrival of the American Fleet in Melbourne.


Northcote move from Westgarth to Croxton Park.


The VFA appoints Honorary Commissioners.


Preston amalgamates with Northcote under the title Northcote-Preston but reference to Preston in the name soon disappears. Melbourne City is admitted, playing home matches at the East Melbourne Cricket Ground.  The VFA introduces boundary umpires.


Agreement is reached between the VFA and the VFL whereby each body recognises each others clearances.  The Association reduces the number of players per team to 16.  This is the last season Melbourne City competes, having failed to win a game in its two seasons with the VFA.


Hawthorn joins the competition.


Northcote returns to Westgarth but the season is curtailed in July and finals commence early due to World War I.

1916-17         VFA  suspends football due to WW1


The Association resumes with six teams: Brunswick, Footscray, Northcote, Port Melbourne, Prahran and North Melbourne.  The number of players per team is increased from 16 to 18.


The previous agreement between the VFA and the VFL is cancelled.  Brighton, Hawthorn, Essendon A and Williamstown return to the competition. North Melbourne win 49 consecutive VFA matches between 1914-1919, a VFA record, but lose the second semi-final to Brunswick, its first defeat in 50 games.


The semi-final between North Melbourne and Footscray could not be finished as the crowd rushed the ground.


The final Association match between Williamstown and Footscray is abandoned during the third quarter due to a hailstorm. This is the last season in which Essendon A. play in the VFA. North Melbourne forfeits 10 games in an unsuccessful attempt to join the VFL.


Essendon A. amalgamates with North Melbourne. An Association team from the Geelong region, called Geelong A. Joins the competition.  Hawthorn kick a record score of 30 goals 31 behinds, 211 points in a match against Prahran.


The Recorder Cup is introduced.


Footscray, the premiers of the VFA play Essendon, the VFL premiers, for the Victorian Championship.  Footscray wins.


Footscray, Hawthorn and North Melbourne join the VFL and Coburg is admitted to the VFA.


Camberwell joins the competition while Preston is re-admitted.


This is the last season Geelong A. is a member of the Association. Brunswick plays in the VFA after an unsuccessful attempt to join the League.


Yarraville is admitted to the VFA. Coburg wins its third Premiership in a row. Brighton move from Brighton Beach Oval to Elsternwick Park.


The VFA expands to 12 teams with the admission of Oakleigh and Sandringham and introduces a rule providing for a substitute to take the place of an injured player.


Yet again an agreement is entered into between League and the Association whereby each recognised the others clearances.


The Page system of playing finals is introduced which consists of two semi-finals, a preliminary and grand final.


The Centenary Premiership is won by Northcote.


The previous agreement between the VFA and VFL is once again cancelled.  The Association introduces amendments to the laws of the game, including banning throwing the ball. The throw pass was found to contribute to higher scores. The first broadcast of a VFA match (3AR) takes place. 


A record crowd for a VFA match, 48,238 sees Williamstown, who finished the previous season in last place, defeat Brunswick by 9 points in the Grand Final at the MCG.


For the third year in a row the Grand Final is played at the MCG.  Port Melbourne scores 43 goals, 29 behinds, 287 points against Sandringham; a new VFA record.

1942/1944   VFA suspends football due to World War II.


After three years, football resumes and a number of previous records are broken during the season.  The finals are played at St.Kilda, the J.J. Liston Trophy is awarded to the best and fairest player in the competition, replacing the Recorder Cup.


The Association registers as a Company, a new constitution is printed and VFA Rules of the Game are copyrighted.


Again the finals are played at St.Kilda with record attendances. The VFA introduces the kicking in danger rule.


The VFA appoint an Independent Umpires Board. Brighton wins its first and only VFA Premiership.


The VFA become affiliated with the Australian National Football Council.


The VFA plays at the All Australian Football Championships for the first time.


Box Hill and Moorabbin join the competition. Moorabbin plays at Cheltenham in its first year before moving to Moorabbin.


The VFA introduces a Thirds competition as curtain raisers.


The VFA is granted full voting power on the Australian National Football Council. Port Melbourne and Oakleigh meet at Wagga, NSW in a match for Premiership points.


3AK commences the first regular broadcast of VFA matches.


Williamstown wins Olympic Premiership making it three Senior Premierships in a row. Preston plays home matches at Coburg.


The VFA stages night matches for Premiership points.


Further night matches are played for Premiership points. Dandenong and Mordialloc join the competition. Moorabbin and Williamstown plays in the first Grand Final draw in VFA history.  Williamstown wins the replay.


Prahran losses ground qualifications and is expelled from VFA. Sunshine joins the competition. 16 players per side rule is adopted.


The VFA experiments with a final 6 for second round matches. Prahran rejoins the competition.  Sunday matches are authorised with the first match between Brunswick and Coburg on 23/4/60.  Oakleigh plays home matches at Camberwell.


The VFA introduce two divisions with promotion and relegation and reverts to a final four for second round matches. Waverley joins the competition. VFA House is purchased. The inaugural members of First Division are Oakleigh, Sandringham, Williamstown, Yarraville, Coburg, Moorabbin, Mordialloc, Port Melbourne, Brunswick and Box Hill. The remaining clubs, Prahran, Sunshine, Preston, Camberwell, Northcote, Brighton and Dandenong form Second Division. Brighton loses its sole use of Elsternwick Park and plays home matches at Sandringham.


Brighton becomes Brighton-Caulfield and moves to Princess Park. Dandenong moves to Shepley Oval from the Dandenong Showgrounds.


Geelong West, a successful club in the Ballarat League joins the VFA.


Moorabbin forfeits its VFA membership by St. Kilda taking over Moorabbin ground. 


Werribee joins the VFA. North Melbourne takes over Coburg Oval resulting in Coburg playing at Port Melbourne.  The VFA cancels the permit agreement with VFL. Brighton-Caulfield becomes Caulfield.


Frankston is admitted into the VFA. Coburg retains its oval after council election results. Television station ATV-0 commences direct telecasting of VFA matches.


The VFA adopts a transfer fee on players to VFL. The VFA stages the First Division finals at the Richmond Cricket Ground.


Channel ATV-0 telecasts VFA matches for the next three seasons.


The VFA drops out of the ANFC.


The VFA conducts lightning premiership matches as curtain raisers to finals. Radio stations 3UZ and 3GL broadcast VFA matches.


A record final series crowd attend matches at the Junction Oval.


The VFA renews the television contract with ATV-0 for a further three seasons.


The VFA completes 100th year as an Association. Port Melbourne is the Premiers.


Centenary Season. Port Melbourne and Mordialloc win Centenary Premierships. Port Melbourne also wins the VFA McWilliams Centenary Cup. Four clubs, Port Melbourne, Dandenong, Preston and Caulfield play in the NFL Ardath Cup. The VFA introduce the interchange rule.


The television contract with ATV-1 is reviewed for further three seasons.


Coburg is the Division One Premier. Camberwell win its first Premiership since entering the VFA in 1926 in Second Division. The VFA withstands the threat by the VFL to exclusivity to Sunday games.


The VFA introduces the order off rule and appoints stewards to supervise the new interchange rule.  Two umpires are used in both division Grand Finals.Umpires carry tape recorders for reports. The VFA seconds matches are played as curtain raisers to main games.


The VFA re-organises its divisional structure. Waverley sets a new record score 52 -31 (343) to defeat Sunshine by 290 points.


Kilsyth and Springvale join the VFA. The VFA launches the Community Development Program. ATV-10 and 3AW begin their live broadcast of the finals series. Two umpires are used for all home and away games in both Senior Divisions. Port Melbourne wins its third consecutive Premiership in Division One.


Berwick and Moorabbin joins the VFA. The thirds competition is completely intergraded with the VFA.  Preston finishes on top of the ladder in Division One in firsts, seconds and thirds, winning all three Premierships. Springvale wins the Division Two Premiership. The VFA Under 12 series is launched.  ATV-10 once again telecasts the finals series live.  Competitive scheduling is successfully introduced into the VFL Thirds draw. The VFA introduces the Norm Goss Medal for the best player in the VFA Grand Final.


Preston wins back-to-back Division One Premierships in the firsts, seconds and thirds.  Box Hill wins the Division Two Premiership and is promoted to Division One. The VFA Under 14 series is launched.  The VFA Under 15 side plays ACT in Canberra.  ATV-10 extends its live telecast to include the Finals and the Match of the Day in last two rounds. Yarraville is disaffiliated before the season starts.  1984 is Kilsyths last season in the VFA.


Sandringham wins Division One Premiership. Brunswick wins the Division Two firsts and seconds Premierships and is promoted to Division One. Prahran, Box Hill and Werribee are relegated to Division Two. Division One is reduced to a 10 team competition with Division Two consisting of 12 teams. The VFA introduces double-header Senior Finals. The VFA Under 16 series is launched.  Once again ATV-10 broadcast the Final Series and Match of the Day in last two rounds live.


Williamstown wins all three Premierships in Division One.  Box Hill wins the Division Two Premiership and is promoted to Division One. Camberwell is relegated to Division Two.  The Thirds competition reverts to divisional football. The VFA establishes F.O.R.T. (Football Organisation Review Team) as a major and independent undertaking with reference to the VFAs future direction. Reigning VFA Premier Sandringham plays a practice match with reigning VFL Premier Essendon.  The VFA conducts a First Division senior double-header at the MCG.  The ATV-10 live telecast continues for the Finals Series and extends the Match of the Day to the last four rounds. Williamstowns score of 55-17 (374) against Camberwell is a new record.


Springvale wins its first Division One Premiership.  Prahran wins the Division Two Premiership and is promoted to First Division.  Geelong West is relegated to Division Two and Moorabbin is suspended mid-season from the VFA.  Caulfield and Northcote are put into recess at conclusion of season while Berwick withdraws from VFA.  The ABC telecasts the last three weeks of the Final Series live.  The VFA wins the NFL Shield.


Coburg wins only its second First Division Premiership in 60 years.  Oakleigh wins the last Second Division Premiership.  The ABC televises the match of the Day on Saturday afternoons. Waverley, Mordialloc and Geelong West withdraw from the competition.  Brett McTaggart (Williamstown) and Gary Sheldon (Coburg) tie for the Liston Medal.  Grand Final is played at Windy Hill resulting in record gate takings. The VFA participants in the Bi-Centennial Carnival in Adelaide. The VFA streamline the competition to one division in 1989.


The VFA becomes a single 15 team competition. Sunshine withdraws from the Senior and Reserve Grade competition.  The ABC telecasts the Match of the Day live on Saturday afternoons. Saade Ghazi becomes the third Williamstown player in three years to win the JJ Liston Trophy.  The VFA wins the NFL Shield Carnival held in Tasmania. The VFA introduces the Fothergill-Round Medal to honour Les Fothergill and Barry Round, the only two players to have won both the Brownlow and Liston Medals.  The Final Five system is introduced.


Williamstown defeats Springvale by two points to win the Premiership. The Senior Representative team defeats the ACT at Football Park in Canberra. The VFA introduces the Frank Johnson Medal for the best Victorian player in a representative game. Standard player contracts and the salary cap are introduced as well as a revamped transfer agreement between the VFA, VCFL and VMFL. ABC TV ratings for VFA football reach its highest levels during the season and Grand Final.  Four players tie for the JJ Liston Trophy. The VFA stage the Senior, Reserve & U/19 Grand Finals at Princes Park, Carlton. This is the last year Camberwell is a member of the VFA.


Dandenong wins its first Premiership since 1971 with a nine point win over first time Grand Finalists Werribee. Television ratings and attendances increase and VFA corporate sponsorship is at a record level. 


The VFA reverts to 18 men a side. Brunswick withdraws from the competition early in the season.  Sandringham wins its first Premiership since 1985 defeating Williamstown by 44 points. ABC TV covers the grand final and achieves its highest ratings of the last five years. Radio stations 3LO and 3EE broadcast the game live. The VFA representative side defeats the VCFL by 102 points at the MCG prior to the Vic-WA State of Origin game.  The VFA extends the ABC TV agreement until the end of the 1997 season.


Werribee scores its first Senior Premiership with a spirited win over Port Melbourne. TV ratings for the Grand Final are the highest ever for VFA football on the ABC.  VFA clubs vote for a commission style board with sweeping powers. The VFA signs an affiliation agreement with the VSFL.


The VSFL Board oversees VFA football. The VFA is defeated by Northern Territory in pre-season representative game played at Victoria Park, Collingwood.  Sandringham wins the Senior, Reserve and Under 19s Premierships.  The VFA Grand Finals are played at Victoria Park, Collingwood.


The VFA abolish the Under 19 Grade.  The VFL defeats NSW as curtain raiser game at the MCG prior to the AFL State of Origin.  Springvale wins the last VFA Premiership at Victoria Park, Collingwood.


North Ballarat and Traralgon join the existing nine (9) VFA teams to form the Victorian Football League.  VFL defeats Tasmania as a curtain raiser game at the MCG prior to the AFL State of Origin.  Springvale wins the first VFL Premiership defeating Frankston at Princes Park, Carlton.


The VFL defeats ACT at Football Park, Canberra. The Grand Final between Sandringham and Frankston is held at Port Melbourne with 10,000 in attendance and large TV audience creating a 20 year record financial return from VFL Final Series.  Radio stations 3AW and 3LO broadcast VFL Grand Final.


The VFL introduces the Final 6 System. Bendigo Diggers joins the competition while Traralgon withdraws and returns to the Gippsland LaTrobe Football League. Preston is now known as the Preston Knights after aligning with the Under 18 Northern Knights.  Springvale defeats hot favourite Werribee in the Grand Final at Port Melbourne.  Werribees Michael Frost polls 32 votes to win the JJ Liston Trophy by 16 votes.


Springvale defeats North Ballarat in Grand Final at Port Melbourne.  It is Springvale�s fourth Premiership in five years.  The SANFL defeats VFL by four goals at the MCG as a curtain raiser to the AFL State of Origin game.  The AFL Reserve Grade competition disbands.  The VFL introduces the Frosty Miller Medal and awards it to the leading goal kicker in the home and away season.


The VFL Competition is re-vamped with AFL and VFL clubs aligning to bring the total to 18 teams in the competition. The stand alone AFL clubs are Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Kangaroos, Richmond & St. Kilda.  The stand alone VFL Clubs are Bendigo Diggers, Coburg-Fitzroy, Frankston, North Ballarat, Northern Bullants & Springvale. The alignments are Box Hill Hawks and Hawthorn, Port Melbourne and Sydney Swans, Sandringham and Melbourne, with the Western Bulldogs partially aligning with both Werribee and Williamstown. The season starts early due to the timing of the Sydney Olympics.  Major redevelopment at all VFL venues begins with upgrading of club facilities.  Monday night games are televised on C7 from Waverley Park. Each TAC Cup team aligns to a VFL club.  The VFL play a number of AFL curtain raiser games. A Final 8 finals system is introduced.  Sandringham defeats North Ballarat in the Grand Final which becomes the last game played at Waverley Park.


Further restructure of the competition sees 16 teams competing. Tasmania is admitted into the competition, Collingwood aligns with Williamstown, Coburg align with Richmond and are now known as the Coburg Tigers , St. Kilda align with Springvale and the Western Bulldogs with Werribee.  The Kangaroos link into the Ovens & Murray Region and played three games in Lavington.  They are known as the Murray Kangaroos.  The stand alone AFL Clubs are Carlton, Essendon, & Geelong, while the stand alone VFL Clubs are the Bendigo Diggers, Frankston, North Ballarat, Northern Bullants and Tasmania.  Coburgs Ezra Poyas & Carltons Brett Backwell tie for the JJ Liston Trophy.  The VFL Grand Final is won by the Box Hill Hawks at Princes Park.  The SANFL defeats the VFL by 38 points at Adelaide Oval.  The VFL fixture is linked directly with the AFL fixture.


The VFL celebrates 125th year of VFA/VFL Football.  ABC TV games commence at 1pm to avoid clashing with AFL TV coverage.  Tasmania is known as the Tasmania Devils and the competition remains at 16 teams.  The VFL defeats the SANFL by 56 points at Adelaide Oval.  Sam Mitchell of the Box Hill Hawks becomes the youngest winner of the JJ Liston Trophy at 19 years of age, polling 31 votes in 11 games.   Geelong defeats Port Melbourne in the Grand Final at Optus Oval in front of 11,500 spectators and record TV audiences.  Frankstons Nick Sautner wins the Frosty Miller Medal for the fourth year in a row.


There is further restructuring of the VFL and the competition reduces from 16 to 13 teams. Carlton aligns with the Northern Bullants and Essendon with the Bendigo Diggers who become Bendigo Bombers.  The Sydney Swans withdraws its association with Port Melbourne who in turn aligns with the Kangaroos. Williamstown defeats the Box Hill Hawks in the Grand Final at Optus Oval.


The VFL competition remains at 13 teams. Bendigo Bombers competes in its first final series.  Sandringham defeats Port Melbourne in the Grand Final at Optus Oval.  Nick Sautner (Sandringham) wins the Frosty Miller Medal for a record 6th year in a row. Julian Field becomes the first JJ Liston Trophy Medallist for the North Ballarat Football Club. The VFL defeats the WAFL by 11 points in Perth.  The win marks the first time the WAFL have been beaten at home by the VFL.  Damian Carroll becomes Springvales game record holder with 233 games.  Troy West becomes the 4th Williamstown player to play 200 club games.


The first night final is scheduled at Bendigo under lights. Sandringham defeats Werribee in Grand Final at Optus Oval to win first back to back Premierships.  Ian Callinan becomes the first JJ Liston Trophy Medallist for the Tasmania Football Club tying with Sandringhams Paul Johnson. Troy West becomes Williamstown Football Clubs games record holder with 208 games. The Scorpions (formerly Springvale) play its last season at its home ground, Newcomen Road, Springvale. 


The Port Melbourne-Kangaroos alignment ends and the Kangaroos form a dual alignment with North Ballarat and Tasmania. Springvale is known as the Casey Scorpions and play its first game at Casey Fields, its new home. Aaron Edwards becomes the first player in VFA/VFL history to win the JJ Liston Trophy and the Frosty Miller medal in the same year. Daniel Clarke becomes the games record holder at Frankston. Sandringham defeats Geelong in Grand Final at MC Labour Park to win 3 Premierships in a row.  


VFL celebrates 130th year of VFA/VFL Football. Geelong bounces back from its 2006 Grand Final defeat to beat Coburg by 74 points at Optus Oval in the Grand Final. Nicholas Sautner wins his 7th Frosty Miller Medal for the leagues leading goal kicker overtaking Frosty himself who won the league goal kicking 6 times. Geelong Captain James Byrne caps off a great year winning the JJ Liston Trophy with 22 votes. Victoria defeats the WAFL by 119 points in the State Representative match played at Port Melbourne.


The Williamstown-Collingwood alignment comes to an end as Collingwood enters its own VFL team.  The Western Bulldogs break its alignment with the Werribee Tigers who in turn partially align with North Melbourne. Williamstown and the Western Bulldogs align while Tasmania, having broken its alignment with North Melbourne, becomes a standalone team.  North Ballarat celebrates its first VFL Premiership defeating minor premier, Port Melbourne by 45 points in an historic Grand Final played for the first time at night at Telstra Dome, Docklands on AFL Grand Final Eve. Werribee Tigers Captain James Podsiadly wins the JJ Liston Trophy. Sandringham's Nichols Sautner once again wins the Frosty Miller Medal for the leagues leading goal kicker and overtakes Anthony Allen as Sandringham's games record holder.  South Australia defeats Victoria by 65 points at the Adelaide Oval.  Tasmania withdraws from the competition at the end of the season.


With Tasmania no longer in the competition a bye is held each week.  For the second year in a row the VFL Grand Final is played under lights at Docklands on the eve of the AFL Grand Final.  North Ballarat celebrates back to back premierships by defeating the Northern Bullants.  North Ballarat's Myles Sewell wins the JJ Liston Trophy, while Sandringham's Nicholas Sautner stamps his name on the Frosty Miller Medal yet again.


Gold Coast Football Club enter the VFL as they continue their progression to becoming the AFL's 17th Club, taking the participating clubs to 14. The VFL state team defeats WAFL by 55 points at Leederville Oval, WA with Williamstown's Matthew Little winning the Frank Johnson medal for Best on Ground. The North Ballarat Roosters continued their dominance becoming VFL Premiers for the third consecutive time. The JJ Liston Trophy was again shared by Shane Valenti (Port Melbourne) and Steve Clifton (North Ballarat), and Matthew Little won the Frosty Miller Medal for the first time.


13 teams take to the field in the 2011 season of the VFL. The competition proudly announced a naming rights sponsor in Peter Jackson Menswear, and also the support of Acacia Learning Solutions as finals naming rights sponsor. Apart from the regular home and away season, North Ballarat, Northern Bullants and Williamstown - the top three teams in the VFL in 2010 – took part in the inaugural Foxtel Cup – with Williamstown defeating Claremont in the Grand Final to be crowned the first Foxtel Cup premiers. Port Melbourne dominated the competition in 2011, completing a clean sweep of the home and away season with 18 straight wins. Port Melbourne did not stop their winning run there, claiming another three finals wins which included their Grand Final victory against longtime rival Williamstown, their first premiership since 1982. Port Melbourne’s Shane Valenti wins back to back JJ Liston Trophies, with team mate Patrick Rose winning the Frosty Miller Medal.


Once again, 13 teams take to the filed in 2012. The reserves competition undergoes a name change to be called the AFL Victoria Development League. Williamstown, Port Melbourne and Werribee Tigers – the top three teams in the VFL in 2011 – represent the competition in the second Foxtel Cup. Werribee make the Grand Final but are defeated by 2011 runners up Claremont. State football returns with the VFL defeating the Tasmanian State League by 108 points. Casey Scorpions finish the home and away season on top of the ladder, but its Port Melbourne and Geelong that make it through to the 2012 Grand Final. The Cats continue their five year cycle of recent premierships adding to wins in 2002 and 2007 with the 2012 flag. Werribee Tigers midfielder Ben Ross wins the JJ Liston Trophy in his first full season as a Werribee player. Dean Galea from Port Melbourne claims the second Frosty Miller Medal for goal kicking for the Borough in a row.


Essendon entered the competition to be the 14th team in the 2013 season of the VFL, after ending its alignment with Bendigo Gold. Port Melbourne and Werribee Tigers – two of the top three teams in the VFL in 2012 – represent the competition in the third Foxtel Cup. State football headed to Western Australia, with the VFL falling at the hands of the WAFL by 17-points. Geelong finishes the home and away season on top of the ladder, and meets Box Hill Hawks in the 2013 Grand Final. Box Hill Hawks win their first VLF premiership since 2001. Three players share the JJ Liston Trophy at years end, with Mitch Hallahan (Box Hill Hawks), Steve Clifton (North Ballarat) and Jordan Schroder (Geelong) all finishing on 17 votes in the competition best and fairest award. Dean Galea from Port Melbourne claims his second Frosty Miller Medal in a row, claiming the goal kicking title in the final round.


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.