Good morning everyone,
At the Albury Basketball Association Board meeting last night the Board voted to delay the resumption of Junior Basketball by 2 weeks with a revised commencement date of the week commencing 17th August.
The Board agreed that with the current spike in Corona Virus cases in both Victoria and NSW along with the HIGH ALERT status in NSW there is a potential likelihood that restrictions may be strengthened in both states which may also extend to community sport.
Because of the additional requirements placed on the Association to comply with Covid prevention in community sport the Association is of the opinion that a delay in the start date will allow the impact of the current cluster spikes to play out and hopefully put us in a position where we don't start and then have to stop competition again. If the State Government chooses to strengthen restrictions potentially impacting community sport the Association will be able to respond accordingly.
The Board appreciates that the Covid 19 landscape will continue to change daily and there will never be a 'perfect time' to resume competitions, however we are mindful that at the current time there are many more Active CoronaVirus Cases across NSW (and Victoria) by comparison to when community sport restrictions were first eased and for this reason we think a delay to resumption is a practical approach while we see what impact (if any) the current spike will have on restrictions.
The Board will reconvene 2 week prior to the revised commencement date to confirm the junior basketball competition will go ahead. In the event that circumstances have continued to worsen the Board will not postpone the season any further and abandon the junior competition for 2020. The Association would then turn its mind to other options to get our basketball community on court. We are all hopeful it does not come to this.
Albury Basketball Association Board
Last Modified on 22/07/2020 12:06