Click above to find all the info you need to start umpiring
There are 8 levels in the Australian umpiring accreditation system:
- Level 1: LOCAL ASSOCIATION
Is awarded when an umpire completes the following:
- Rules assessment theory pass mark has been attained
- Completion of the two modules in the “Play By The Rules” free online training course*
- Sign the Umpires Code of Conduct
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of umpire mechanics.
- Levels 2-4: STATE
Involves passing a rules assessment and a practical assessment at State Championships
- Level 2 is assessed at Blacktown Junior International Challenge or U14 State Championships
- Level 3 is assessed at Under 18 or Over 35's State Championships
- Level 4 is assessed at Open Women's State Championships
- Levels 5-6: NATIONAL
Involves passing a rules assessment and a practical assessment at National Championships.
- Level 5 is assessed at U16 Male/Female or U18 Female National Championships
- Level 6 is assessed at U18 Male or Open Women's National Championships
- Levels 7-8: INTERNATIONAL
Recognition accreditations and are awarded by the Softball Australia National Umpiring Program (Softball Australia NUP).
- Level 7 is awarded as a result of several on and off diamond criteria, including currency of rules assessment, WBSC Certification and officiating at a minimum of one junior or open world championship
- Level 8 is awarded as a result of several on and off diamond criteria, including currency of rules assessment, WBSC Certification and officiating at a minimum of two world championships, one of which must be an open world championship
* First-time registration for Play By The Rules online training is required.
Click here to view the experience and pass marks required for each level.